Friday, July 15, 2011

A Post for My Vegetarian Pals

Looks kind of gross, but is delicious!
Sometimes, it's cheaper to be a vegetarian.  Occasionally, I will go meatless simply to save a few bucks and to give my colon a break and it's in these times that I get creative.  Last night I was trying to come up with a healthy dinner to eat that didn't require too many ingredients and involved black beans.  It was then that I came across black bean burgers.  I had to search for a simple recipe for a while but eventually stumbled across this one:


Ingredients:



  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 can black beans, well drained
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 slices bread, crumbled
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying
Preparation:

Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.  

In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth.  Add sauteed onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well.  Form bean mixture into patties and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm.

Because I love guacamole, I topped it with that and made kale chips, which are so simple it's amazing.  

Kale chips:

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Salt!

Directions:
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I skipped the parchment paper).
  2. Pull off leaves from the thick stems in bite sized pieces and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
  3. Back until brown or about 10-15 minutes.  It only took mine about nine because I didn't use the whole head.
I thought they were going to be soggy at first but on my first bite I knew I was wrong.  Crunchy and light and delicious!  Certainly not the same as regular chips but still very good!


2 comments:

kellycmom said...

i LOVE veggie burgers and kale chips :) how is the new work thing going :)?

celiselott said...

I love them too! And it's going fine. A little slow at the moment but as I'm still a newbie that's not necessarily a bad thing.