Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Night Foodie: Valentime's!

My earliest memory of Valentine's Day is at a breakfast table in Plano, TX, a table where I played 'Memory' with my mom and often refused to eat my peas.  Other memories rested on the window seat near by; early mornings with my dad who, to this day, shares my struggle with insomnia, but this memory is a little further over.  Easter, Valentine's, Christmas, my mother always had something special.  I don't remember the specific candy or what she wrote on the card, but the warm light, the smell of scrambled eggs, and the reminder that I was dearly loved reach through the years, brought back to mind by certain sights, certain smells.

In recent years, this day has become somewhat painful for me, dragged down by the slight jab of bitterness and longing, but the memories from that glass table soften the pain.  My goal as of late has been to direct my attention to others, to remember that I can chase away loneliness and bitterness with acts of kindness.  My initial plan this Valentine's was to make a heart shaped cake:



I made two mistakes.  The first being that I bought two round cake tins instead of one round and one square, and the second was that I did not go to the grocery store armed with an ingredient list…whoops!  (P.S. Thanks everyone for chocolate cake suggestions!  Will be trying them next time I go to the grocery store)

On to plan B: Sugar Cookies!


1 cup of butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar

"It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!"  

1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg 

2 3/4 cups of flour - real flour for the office peeps!  I ended up breaking down and using my (clean!!!) hands to mix the dough because the flour kept spilling out onto the counter...

No, I didn't make my own icing, I'm not quite as talented as Kiki

Purple: the anti-Valentine's color ;-)

Soooo many cookies!
The good: I couldn't taste them myself, but everyone in the office claimed they were good!

The bad: Not a recipe criticism as much as a frosting criticism - the sprinkles didn't much care to stick the way they should have.  Next time I'll take my co-worker's advice and pour them in a bowl and dip the cookies…

The ugly: flour chaos!  

I would definitely use this recipe again!

No comments: