Thursday, August 14, 2008

Make Straight What was Twisted

Dear Lord Jesus,

Sin has twisted this world.  It has made us forget who You are, made us strive to build kingdoms for ourselves rather then for you, and has caused us to seek out worshipers for ourselves.  It has brought wars and illness, racism and oppression, jealousy and hatred, self-consciousness and fear, depression, anger, foolishness, pain, self-righteousness, deceit, theft, murder, gossip, grief, loss, restlessness, doubt, pride, vanity, sloth, gluttony, and waste.  We live for ourselves and wonder why we are never fulfilled.  Our plans fall through and like fools we curse your name.  Only when we need something to we turn to you.  All of us have gone astray, all of us have made idols of ourselves rather then you.  Even as I pray this prayer I sin against you as my mind wonders.

Lord, make straight what sin has twisted.  The war has been won.  You defeated sin and death on the cross, but we still have battles to fight.  Work through us!  Show yourself in Your people.  Help us be light unto the world because You shine through us!  Build Your kingdom through us and knock down our kingdoms of sand.  Help us realize that our purpose is to serve You!  That our souls are restless until they find rest in you!  Forgive me for my self-righteousness.  Forgive me for my pride.  Forgive me for trying to build a kingdom for me, full of worshipers of me.  Help me to strive to build Your kingdom, full of worshipers for you!

In Your precious and holy name I pray, Amen.

No comments: