Monday, December 21, 2009

Sufficient

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me."  2 Corinthians 12:9

When I am at my lowest, God is with me.  I may feel as if I am completely alone, utterly abandoned, and yet He never leaves me.  Even when I am faithless, God is faithful.  He is my strength when I am weak, my joy when I am desperate, my peace when I'm afraid.  Why does my heart not understand this?  I know it to be true and yet I cannot seem to rely on it as I should.  The journey is a long one.  God doesn't just wave a wand over our lives and poof everything is as it should be.  Rather, He allows us to participate in our sanctification.  It hurts.  Frankly, it sometimes stinks.  I don't always believe that He will work all things for my good and His glory though I know it to be true.  Daily I must be reminded.  Daily I have to pray.  Oh that I would say with Paul that I will  "boast all the ore gladly about my weakness" that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I might be able to one day, though I'm not sure if it will be in this world or the next.  For now I fall at the foot of the cross, crying out that my strength is not sufficient.  Maybe that's where I always need to be.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I found your blog by hitting the "Next Blog" button from my blog, every now and then I stumble upon a gem that way, as would appear to be the case today. Right off the rip you are talking about on of my life verses. So I thought I'd throw something out there for you. Philippians 1 says "only conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel you have received" (yes it actually says only...) i also really like Psalm 19 when I am feeling, well when I am feeling many things. I hope you continue to earnestly seek the Lord. Grace and Peace.

Terrace Crawford said...

I've learned this a lot this year. Glad to see I'm not alone. Good post!

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford