Monday, January 12, 2009

Crazy


There comes a point in blog slacking when you realize that it just cannot go on any longer, and tonight was one of those points.  So much went on just last weekend that I am overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to talk about to my three readers.  So I suppose I will start there, the beginning is as good a place to start as any.  

Friday, January 2, 3009, I left the Houston airport for Canada around 8 A.M.  Yes, I went to Canada in order to get to Lima.  Believe it or not, flying to Lima via Canada is a lot less expensive than flying through Atlanta.  Search me.  The flight would have been great, I had a great book to read, a non-smelly person sitting next to me, and a lovely snack of tomato juice, but the flight sort of... got to me.  For those of you at home with weak stomach you will either appreciate this next part or will want to skip it.  I started to feel sick about halfway through the flight and promptly went to the bathroom.  There was little to no color in my face but I could not get my body to 'give up' whatever was in it that was making it feel bad so I went back to my seat, grabbing the trusty barf bag, just in case.  After another ten or so minutes of feeling truly miserable and being unable to focus on my book, I realized, or rather my body realized, that it was time to evacuate.  Desperately, I tried to get out of my seat and make it to the bathroom... wasn't gonna happen.  Thankfully I did have the little bag, and it received into it's arms the tomato juice I had just ingested.    After apologizing to the other passengers I was able to make it to the back and dispose of the said bag and then the nice stewardess gave me some ginger ale.  I felt much better and had no more episodes on that front.

The flight from Canada to Lima was uneventful but nice.  I had both seats to myself, finished my novel that I had bought in the Houston airport (Shameless plug: Harlan Coben, No Second Chances, couldn't put it down), watched an episode of Pushing Daisies (moment of silence for its cancelation), and took a little nap.  My next problem came and baggage claim.  The problem?  No baggage.  I filled out a report with many shed tears (those of you who know me will understand that I unfortunately cry about everything, a habit I'm praying desperately about) and went on to my hotel.  The next day I met up with the team that was coming to visit and put on a camp for the children in Trujillo, got a ride with them to the market, and then went on to the Lima airport to head to Trujillo.  Once in Trujillo I realized that I had no keys and so went to the nearest mall to get on the internet.  I ended up having to buy some clothes (I foolishly had packed no overnight bag) and stayed with a missionary family.  To make a long story short I finally got my bags back on Tuesday (the heavens open and the angels sing) and the rest of the week was uneventful.  I have a three classes (basic conversation, basic 5, and intermediate 6) and I really like the way things are going so far.  God has blessed me this month with sweet students.

Saturday we went to Huanchaco, the local beach.  I started reading The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged and really, really long) and got super sunburned.  No shock there.  I did use sunscreen but unfortunately did not reapply on my back.  We ended the day with cebiche and ice cream and then I went back to SALI to finish lesson planning for the week.  A rather anticlimactic ending to a fun day.

Well, that's it for the update for now!  And for those of you who were wondering, I was in College Station for only a few hours and unfortunately got to see no one!  Missed you Fergusons!   

1 comment:

Heather said...

No problem. And I am so sorry about your lovely travel incidents. Bummer.