Saturday, January 11, 2014

Friday Night Foodie: Another Saturday Addition

This week on Friday Night Foodie, I decided to play it super easy.  I want to challenge myself with difficult dishes, but some weeks, like last week with the pizza crust in a tub, I just kind of get lazy.  Originally I planned to try butternut squash lasagna, but then rethought the whole tomato thing…not a great food choice for someone who deals with acid reflux.  I'm trying to take steps to avoid foods that aggravate it…but it's not always easy (coffee…do not ask me to give up my coffee!).  Still, I decided a tomato based dish was not the wisest decision, and switched gears to Greek chicken.

This is just about the easiest recipe ever.  Zero challenge.  Unless of course you find handling raw chicken challenging…which I know some do.  The great thing about this recipe for me was that unlike last week's recipe, this one left me with almost four days of left overs and I discovered that it reheats really well.  One of my problems with trying not to go out for lunch at work is that I will bring lunch and then decide I'm not in the mood for it.  Whether it doesn't really reheat well, isn't quite good enough to resist trekking to I-10 for Jason's or Chili's, or because I just feel like I need to get out of the office, the quality of my left overs is the deciding factor within my lunch decision making paradigm.  This recipe won out two days in a row, so I'm calling it a success.  Here's how I made it:

You start with 1 cup of plain yogurt.

I thought for sure this was a typo.  Shouldn't I use Greek yogurt for, you know, Greek chicken?  I almost bought it, but decided to trust the recipe.


Four cloves of garlic - I <3 garlic="" my="" press.="" td="">
 My senior year of college my roommate and I used to cook most Monday nights and it almost always involved garlic.  I learned a few important things that year…one of which is that I'm a terrible garlic mincer.
Half a lemon with its zest.


1/2 a TBS of dried oregano, 1/2 tsp of cracked pepper (I didn't measure this part)

The recipe calls for a 1/4 a bunch of parsley but I didn't have any so I skipped it.  Next time I'll be sure to add it because I think it would be a nice addition to the texture.

Place chicken pieces in a bag to marinate.
 I used chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs so that I could cut them in half and make the left overs last longer.

Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes - really mine only took about 40 minutes.

And I forgot to use aluminum foil.  Boo.
The chicken was very moist and absolutely delicious.  I failed in restraint and ate a whole breast even though I planned to eat just a half.  I paired it with green beans and plantain chips (yes, I may have an addiction to the latter) and a glass of Wild Horse Merlot.  Editor's note from last week, it's not from Texas but rather California.  Ooops!  As I said, it heated up very well the next day and was tasty enough to keep me from breaking down and going out to eat.  I will definitely be making it again!

No comments: