Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Stinkin' New Years


So, New Years can be awesome: the idea of a fresh start, setting goals, hopes of a new phase of life…but New Years can also be a HUGE, ENORMOUS let down.  For the single, part of the let down is the death of that tingling little hope of a Midnight kiss to ring in the new year, for the mother it could be the mixed joy of a night with little ones and a children hang over the next morning, for the empty-nester it could be simply leaving youth behind…Not to mention the fact that most resolutions last at most a month.  The latter leaves the failed resolver with guilt and the accomplished one very self-pleased and likely obnoxious.

My particular New Years Eve was redeemed only by seeing an old friend and enjoying time with a few new ones.  I went to a party for the first time ever (aside from a house party) and found it somewhat wanting.  Maybe if I'd known more people it would have been better, but the one resolution it did leave me with was that next year I'm going to have my own party with games, good food, close friends, and champagne.  I spent my fist day in 2014 as I often do a normal Saturday; working out, taking a walk (or maybe three), watching too much TV, and rather longing for a bit of company.

I find resolutions somewhat dangerous, for the reasons mentioned above, but I'm also convicted by 1 Corinthians 9:26-27 "Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified."  However, rather than attempting to make a list of resolutions and risk either failure or self-righteousness, I prefer to set for myself a list of prayers, asking my Shepherd to lead me and the Holy Spirit to enable me to do His will.  

So without further adieu, here is a short of list of what I am asking the Lord to help me with this year:


  1. A joyful attitude that is above and beyond my situation (James 1:2-4)
  2. Patience, especially at work and in traffic (Ephesians 4:2)
  3. Love (which maybe I should have mentioned first) for everyone…there is a distinct lack of love in my heart, as is evidence by my impatience and unkindness (1 Corinthians 13:13)
  4. Direction and sober judgment - a bit more selfish I suppose, but I am praying for direction guided by wisdom (Psalm 51:6)  
  5. Purity in thought (2 Corinthians 10:5)
There are more, of course, but these are that which I have had on my mind for a while.  Are you making a list for the new year?


No comments: