Sunday, September 21, 2008

5 AM

So it's 5:58 AM.  I woke up around 5:15 sweating (we don't have air conditioning) and having issues breathing (bit of an anxiety attack).  This wasn't a huge deal for it happens all the time and I typically know how to deal with it.  My ear plugs were falling out of my ears because after a night of changing positions they get a little more squishy and a lot less firm, so they weren't exactly working that well.  I thought 'no big deal, it's five something in the morning, surely it's quiet.'  Wrong.  For some reason our next door neighbors were up and because our walls are so thin I could hear every word they were saying.  At that point I gave up on sleep and decided to get up.  As irritated as I was that I couldn't get back to sleep (the heat, breathing, and noisy neighbors all contributing) I decided to thank God for a little time alone for reflection.  So I pulled out my bible and opened up to Psalm 75.  Here's a little of what it says:

                                  "We give thanks to you, O God,
                                         we give thanks, for your
                                              Name is near;
                                     Men tell of your wonderful
                                               deeds."

What a perfect verse to read this morning when I'm a little frustrated and very tired.  I need to remember that God is good and that He is completely in control of everything that happens.  More importantly, He works all things for the good of those who love him and are called according to His purpose.  Sometimes it's hard to remember, sometimes I don't want to hear it, but it's always true, and I am thankful for the reminder.

No comments: