Monday, January 17, 2011

Hope in the Lord

How do you deal when tragedy comes? The second that horrific news comes all other smaller problems that have been surrounding you seem to shrink in their significance, and suddenly each joy is tinged with the slightest hesitation. You wonder how this could happen, you feel guilty for any moment of happiness, you may even attempt to ignore it entirely, as per the stages of dealing with loss. But eventually you have to face it, and when that happens, what do you do?

The beginning of 2011 has been darkened by such tragedies, both personal and national. Unless you've been living under a rock you know about the shooting in Tucson, the violence spawned by a disturbed and hysterical mind, but I doubt all of you have heard about the illness of my dear friend Lynn Oliphant. I met Lynn when I was probably eleven years old. My family had just moved to Katy and were looking around for a local church to attend. At the time, Lynn was the wife of the Pastor at Cornerstone, Buck Oliphant, and the moment we walked in the doors it was like coming home.

My memories of both Lynn and Buck, who now work at a church in Houston, were always filled with joy and laughter, and to this day she is the one who comes to mind when I think about what it means to be a woman who fears the Lord. Her quiet and gentle spirit has always been inspiring to me, and one of my constant prayers is that I would grow to be much like her in personality and purpose.

Last week, we were told that she has advanced bone cancer. I could hardly believe it when I read the e-mail and I found myself rebelling against the idea. There had to be a mistake, she couldn't have cancer. I'm not sure it has really hit me yet, I may still be in a bit of shock, but just to see how she and her husband have both been reacting to it has been one of the most encouraging things. I pray that God will continue to give them joy and lift their spirits, and that even if He does not heal her by medicine or by miracle, that He would redeem this entire situation.

We may never get answers on this side of heaven. We may simply be left to simply trust that God is both good and sovereign in the joyful and sorrowful things. Keep the entire Oliphant family in your prayers.

"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:30-31

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4


No comments: