Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:  Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death- even death on a cross!  Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."  Philippians 2: 5-11

This isn't the normal verse for Valentines Day.  Most people use 1 Corinthians 13.  But after our bible study yesterday on self-control, I figured that this verse was more fitting.  The greatest love there ever was, was displayed on the cross.  The God of all creation, who had paradise, came down and subjected Himself to humanity.  He was a baby, the son of a poor man, grew up to be poor and homeless, was betrayed and abandoned by His closest friends, beaten and murdered in the most horrible way, and allowed Himself to be abandoned by the Father.  What could possibly motivate Him to do such a thing?  What did the God of the universe not have in paradise?  What drove Him to have the greatest form of self-control and not call down angels to save Him?  His love for us.  Like Jacob, who worked for Rachel seven years, Christ suffered more than any of us will ever know for His bride.  I get a little choked up just thinking about it.  
It also makes me think of how I repay Him.  I pay Him my lip service every morning and then take my thoughts for myself.  I make excuses for why I am grouchy or impatient with others, or for why I am not praying and praising continuously, I sin against Him every second of every day...  All this for the God who gave His precious life, spilled His precious blood for me.  I love to make myself the victim when I sin and the hero when I do one very small good deed which is most likely motivated by some form of selfishness.  I find myself crying out with Paul, "What a wretched man I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24)

So on this Valentines Day, rather than bemoan the fact that I don't have a sweetheart sending me flowers or chocolate, I am going to proclaim to myself God's endless love.  I'm going to remember that I have a groom who will always be there for me, who continuously has His arms wrapped around me, and who gave His very life for me, giving up paradise for Hell.  

"Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:25)

1 comment: