Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Translating

This week, a medical team from the states has come down to Peru to do a medical campaign.  So far, they have given aid to the residents at two locations and they have three more to go.  Last month I was asked to translate, and, with much fear and trembling (my Spanish is decent but not great), I accepted the job.  Aside from having a little help from one of my students, I have been doing fairly well.  It takes me a bit to get into a groove, but when I get there I really enjoy it.  It's fun being able to help people medically even though I know nothing about medicine.  But despite the fun I am having, it also breaks my heart to see and hear about the pain that people are in.  Many have been living with parasites, many have rotting and broken teeth, and all of them are in pain.  I complain so much about my little aches and pains but these people really know what it is to suffer.  It is extremely eye opening to see and I am very thankful for this opportunity to not only help them physically but spiritually as well.  The doctors pray with them, show them the love of God, and help them with no charge.  My prayer is that our witness will heal them in every way, that God's name will be praised in the midst of suffering, in the midst of healing.  I also pray that God will remind me of what I've seen here when I start grumbling about any of my little aches and pains, and that I will be far more thankful for the blessings He has showered upon me, the worst of sinners.

No comments: